Basic Eligibility Requirements for APT Positions
To be considered for an Administrative, Professional or Technical (APT) position, applicants must meet the following requirements:
- Be a U.S. citizen.
- Have no visible body markings. The Secret Service prohibits employees from having visible body markings (including but not limited to tattoos, body art, and branding) on the head, face, neck, hand, and fingers (any area below the wrist bone) (exception: a single conservative and unobtrusive tattoo in the form of a ring (e.g., wedding band) is authorized on one finger). If you have visible body markings, you will be required to medically remove such visible body markings at your own expense prior to entering on duty with the Secret Service.
- Age & vision testing may be required for some positions.
- Excellent physical condition may be required for some positions.
- Qualify for Top Secret clearance and undergo a complete background investigation, including driving record check, and drug screening. Some positions may require medical and polygraph examinations.
- Certify that you have registered with the Selective Service System or are exempt from having to do so (if you are a male applicant born after December 31, 1959).